Tuesday, August 03, 2010

GCD Studios Technique:: Creating Paper Ruffles

I love using patterned paper to create texture and extra dimension on my layouts. I also love to add feminine details since I have two girls. One way to add texture is to create paper ruffles. Today, I'll show you how I created patterned paper ruffles for my layout here:


First, here's a close-up of my title that is a combination of Doodlebug and October Afternoon stickers and American Crafts thickers. I also punched a butterfly from Homespun Chic patterned paper and accented it with Melissa Frances rhinestones.


Here is a close-up of my patterned paper ruffles. The patterned paper I selected is from the Homespun Chic collection except for the brown stripe from Chic Bebe. 


First, I cut two strips from each patterned paper that were 1.5" x 12." You'll need two strips because of the pleating. I pleated both strips first by pinching the paper towards me and folding it over. Don't worry too much about perfection. 


Next, I sewed along the edge to hold my pleating in place.


I inked the edges and pleats for extra dimension and to highlight the pleating. Then, I used my fingers to tear up the edges of the pleats.


Distressing the edges further gives a weathered look to the ruffles. 


I layered and adhered my ruffles strips to my cardstock using a combination of an adhesive runner and glue dots. The colors I chose for this layout also mimic my daughters' pajamas. :)


Until next time,
Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs